Wednesday, March 19, 2008

a treat


This is my Creme Brulee Recipe. I made it today for book group, tomorrow night. I would suggest making it in advance because you want the Creme Brulee to be totally set up and cold before you torch the sugar on it. Enjoy. * this isn't my picture. I made my creme in cute egg ramekins. My camera is having issues so pictures are.......


Creme Brulee
1 c. whipping cream
2 egg yolks
1/3 c. sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 t. vanilla
6-8 t. special brulee sugar ( i just use brown sugar or even super fine white sugar)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Put cream in saucepan and stir over medium heat, just to the point of boiling. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt together. Into this add the cream, a little bit at a time, whisking as you go. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve. Place 4  (4 oz) ramekins in a hot water bath, and fill them evenly. Bake for about 35 min ( today I ended up baking my over a little an hour). Custards should be mostly set with a center that still jiggles. Remove from hot water bath from oven and cool.  Cover with clear wrap and refrigerate at least one and 1/2 hours or as long as 2 days.
Just before serving sprinkle with sugar and torch. I put the custards in the oven on broil since I don't have a torch.

5 comments:

jody said...

Ash has made me this wonderful treat before and it is GOOD!!!!

You need to be a cooking teacher.

{natalie} said...

those look wonderful! i want some for breakfast

brittany said...

I lOVE creme brulee and i wish wish i was coming to your book club!

*ethan* said...

that looks so so good

Natali, Aaron, & Boys said...

Aaron would love those!! Look delicious!